Saturday, May 5, 2012

Designed for love

When we first got our little guy, I thought he would be rather passive in his development.  How wrong I was!  He is eager to grow, to do all the normal things.  He has no guile, clapping for himself when he accomplishes some thing.  We have learned that children with Down Syndrome are just designed for love- the round little bodies, the desire for touch, the sweet spirits and easy going attitudes- just so easy to love.
We were at a friend's house the other night and I commented that he was trying hard to learn to eat with a spoon.  He can get the food onto the spoon but can't manage the twist of the wrist it takes to get food onto a spoon and into the mouth.  My friend (mother of four, pediatrician and the one who found our little guy in the orphanage) suggested a fork.  I would have never thought to try a fork (I've only done this once before and it's been a while!). So we got a child's fork and knife and here he is trying his little heart out.


Blurry picture of practicing.


Sometimes the hands are just easier.


He has had good success stabbing at scrambled eggs and noodles.  Here he is putting food on a spoon with his hand! Jia You, little guy!


My friend, Gillian Marchenko has been an enormous resource and help for me in the journey of caring for a little guy with Down Syndrome.  Here she posts about her own experience of giving birth to her daughter, who also has Down Syndrome.  She writes very movingly and powerfully here about her emotions after she gave birth to Polly.  You might need a kleenex as you read this.  I did.

http://www.gillianmarchenko.com/2012/05/to-the-new-mother-to-a-baby-with-down-syndrome/


I'll be traveling  this week as a chaperone on the international school middle school Spring trip.  There will be 30 plus international 6th and 7th graders, an international adult staff- our first leg is 24 hours on the train!
See you all when I get back.





1 comment:

Tarasview said...

I love that little boy so much- I feel like I know him even though I've never held him in my arms! He has grown SO much!