Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ordinary Life in an extraordinary place.

On most days, our lives are very ordinary.  We get up, we eat breakfast, we go to various schools and jobs.


Well, some of us do.  Others get to stay home and read books in bed.


Or love on his stuffed lion.  The other morning I woke up to the sound of him singing and rocking one of his stuffed bears.  It was such a sweet and tender moment.



Practicing walking behind his new walking toy.


Our friend gave our little guy these vocabulary cards.  Some are wonderfully Chinese in flavor.



Some...let's just say that we aren't sure these are necessary for his vocabulary development.



Traditional shape of a Chinese snowman.


We finally got some real snow....in March!


I've been knitting this beautiful bamboo silk shawl.  Ironically, the yarn was made in China but I bought it in the US.  However, I am going to rip it out and start again.  I made a mistake in the texture pattern across the top and the longer the shawl gets, the more it bugs me.  Oh, knitting.  Hours of knitting, minutes of ripping.


Socks that are almost done. Note to self..even when your gauge is correct, it may be wise to go down a size when you make socks.







A friend of mine gave me tons of scrap yarn.  So I got out big needles and just knit in seed stitch until  each color until it was gone.  I had the green for another project.  It still needs an attached i-cord edge but it's a nice little lap blanket for Elisabeth.


Every Friday, the middle schoolers have help teams, where they do project for the school or community.  I formed a knitting team to do charity knitting for the community.  I taught 14 middle school students how to knit!  Right now, they are knitting squares that will be stitched together to make a blanket for a local foster family. This picture is about half the group knitting. It is school policy not to show faces of students on the internet.


The squares so far.  They will be stitched into a blanket.


I went shopping on my way home from work and got all of this for about $10.00.

As I was washing the lettuce, I noticed this on the dish soap.


Click on the picture...it's kumquat scent!  With oranges on the container.  Totally cracked me up.
















3 comments:

Pam Terrell said...

The photo of him with the lion is so touching. What does it say to me? That he has been so well loved that he knows how to reflect it too. Just lovely! Brought tears and a smile to my face.

Sandy said...

Thanks, Pam. He is so, so lovable. Seeing him wrap up his stuffed animals and singing to them is really precious. I will always remember it.

AussieMaz said...

I love seeing pictures of your little boy. And those flash cards cracked me up! 'armored car'