Friday, June 10, 2011

Growing up near water.

I think that when you grow up on the water, you just never get used to not living near water.  The waves, the colors, the fresh air, the fog...all are a wonderful comfort to me.
On our second night in CA, we went to Venice Beach.  Paul grew up near here and lived on the beach growing up.  He was on the Surf Team in high school which basically meant that they went to the beach early in the morning, surfed, called it PE and didn't always make it to school.


Elisabeth on Venice Beach.  The Boardwalk could serve as an excellent visual in teaching kids to just say no to drugs.  Sad, sad people with broken lives.

Yesterday, we flew up to San Jose to spend ten days with my family in the San Francisco Bay Area.  We started off the evening in one of my favorite places- the Palo Alto Baylands.


The boardwalk look out towards the bay.


My mom and Elisabeth walking back towards the nature center.


Herons are nesting this time of year and the trees were full of them.


Another heron.


Swallow's nests at the nature center.


Egrets are also nesting and the trees are full of them.


If you look really closely, you can see stilts and an avocet.


One more egret.

My soul has been thirsty for beauty this year.  I am so thankful for seeing all of this last night.




2 comments:

Tanya said...

I so understand that thirst for beauty, especially for water and the sea. So glad God is filling you.

Tarasview said...

I so agree- I grew up on the coast and even though I haven't lived by the ocean since I was a teenager I still miss it. Just being by the sea feeds my soul!

Enjoy it!!