Saturday, April 14, 2012

The second day in Korea -the Quilt Museum, the Cathedral and the Seoul Tower.

We fell asleep really early our first night in Korea, so we were up bright and early the next morning....to go to Starbucks!  Elisabeth was going to meet a friend and I was going to the textile museum that I had researched.  We had been on the subway the day before and it seemed fairly easy to navigate.


Elisabeth had calculus homework and had to do that....


but I got to knit and drink coffee until it was time to go.


Bulgogi Burrito!  Talk about fusion food!

After a while, Elisabeth took off to see her friend and I got on the subway to go to the Textile and Quilt Museum.  The pictures on the website looked beautiful.  I am really interested in weaving and textile arts..less interested in quilts but I wanted to see this museum.  I got off at the subway exit where the directions said to...and saw nothing that looked like a museum or a sign pointing to one.  Most of the signs for tourist type things are fairly small and brown.  They are in Korean and English but a little hard to see.  I walked up and down the street and finally stepped into a little deli for possibly the worst sandwich ever.  I asked the woman sitting next to me if she spoke English and knew where the museum was.  She shook her head no and then looked it up for me on her I-phone.  No success.  I thanked here, walked outside and saw the sign for the museum across the street!  As I walked up the hill, I saw these, but fortunately I had all ready eaten a 90% mayonnaise sandwich.



I wasn't even in the university part of town!


I also passed by these kimchi pots.  They have similar pots in China that are used to pickle cabbage (but it's not kimchi) and I desperately want one.  Hint, hint to my husband.
When I got to the entrance of the museum, it was dark.  A nice man came out, turned the lights on and let me in for about the equivalent of $8.00.   The museum wasn't what I expected but what was there was lovely.








They had beautiful dolls in elaborate hanboks.  Click to make bigger.




The quilts were modern and amazing. 








However, what the what?  Amish quilts in Korea?  Say it isn't so!
Sadly my camera died before I could take pictures of children's hanboks done in fantastic quilt patterns.

After this, I headed up to the Catholic Cathedral where I sat and watched  a priest prep younger priest on holy week services.  There was a choir practicing in the loft and it was a lovely hour to reflect.  To sit in an actual church building and see clergy means so much when you live in a country where that is not a usual thing!


Happy, laughing nuns.


Exterior


Choir loft.
Later in the afternoon, Elisabeth and I met up and went to the art museum (which was a little disappointing).  Then we had dinner (I had bibimbap which is my favorite Korean meal...I ate it every day we were there).  Then we took the subway south and headed up the Seoul Tower.  It was fantastic- cable car half way and then go up the elevator.


View of Seoul.


View towards our city.


The tower itself-one of the best things we did in Seoul.







2 comments:

Angie said...

Oh, how I love to hear about Asia. It's so special to us. We've never been to Korea, though, so I'm living it through you, OK? I laughed out loud at the food signs. Oh, my. I love international cuisine, but I think I'd be living on rice if those were my choices! Enjoy your time!

Christine said...

Did you go into the ladies room in the tower?? One of the most beautiful I've ever seen! I'm glad you enjoyed it. But I never saw anything labelled "hangover soup"...